Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Expert

Expertise is earned; through teaching and trial and error. People think that just because they have a camera they are a photographer. Just because they have a pencil and a piece of paper they are an artist. Just because they have a collection of recipes and pots they are a chef. People think a lot of themselves. I think it is all part of the front people put on-all part of the story we tell ourselves and others to make us feel better. The line in the sand between an expert and someone who can read and/or follow directions is humility. I think that true artists and chefs and photographers know that there are many things about their craft that they don't know. The more we learn, the more we learn there is more to learn. I personally used to be an Interior Designer. I have a B.S. Degree and a 5+ year career history. (Not bad in that I am only 30!) I have been out of the game raising my daughter and now I see how much I need to learn to get back into the game. I am aware that, in my field of expertise, everyone can DIY. DIY doesn't take into consideration the person, the long-term livability of a space-doesn't take into consideration the principals of design that make great Interior Design pop. DIY, in all fields, gives people a false sense of accomplishment. Without training and experience all we have is 'first time lucky.'

No comments:

Post a Comment