Monday, January 25, 2010

Be Still

My home at night is the most comforting place to be. My daughter is finally still, my husband is usually still at work and I am left alone. I listen the hum of the dryer as it cycles through the last load of the day. I listened as the dish washer steams and sprays away the terrible dinner I made. There is such a sense of accomplishment in the knowledge that some things in my life are clean and completed. I find great peace listening to the night sounds alone in the dark. In my busy life there are so few moments of peace. There is always something to clean, something to cook, something to buy, or love, or fix... I find very little time to be still. There is great power in stillness. As a child, I had a poster with a girl in a field of pale flowers, it said, "Stand still and consider the wonderous works of God." The key is to stand STILL. The white noise of the dryer is the ideal time for me to be STILL and consider... Consider the future, consider the past, consider, or rather remember, how it feels to be a little girl chasing white butterflies in a field of alfalfa. With the sun on my face and not a care in the world, I lived. I was that little girl living that beautiful moment; loving the stillness of the plants and the quiet of the butterflies. Never once considering that one day, my beautiful moment would be a dryer, late at night, alone in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment